Northern California Regional Meeting Agenda
National Network of Schools in Partnership
Northern California Regional Meeting
San Francisco Friends School
March 19, 2014
Goals for the meeting:
- Present the extent and breadth of partnerships in Bay Area
- Build relationships for the future to promote the growth of partnerships
- Learn how to partner effectively with community-based organizations (CBOs)
Questions to consider and pursue:
- What does an effective partnership with CBOs look like?
- How do you know what it’s not working anymore?
- When and how are expectations set among partners?
- What should a CBO expect from you? And vice versa?
4:00 – 4:15
Introductions – around the room
National update from NNSP
4:15 – 4:30
Interactive exercise: Discovery of what others are doing
Find two new people in the room and explain your service learning/partnership work with regards to purpose, focus, and strengths/weaknesses
4:30 – 5:00
What do effective community-school partnerships look like? The University of San Francisco has over a decade of experience pairing academic curricula with community partners to enrich learning and service. Star Moore, Director of Community Engaged Learning at the McCarthy Center of USF will share lessons learned and promising practices.
5:10 – 5:45
Small Group Discussion
Questions to consider in each group:
- What are the barriers that exist in your school to forging effective community partnerships?
- What are the incentives for forming effecitve partnerships?
- What needs can be met through community partnerships?
Each group reports out insights and key points
5:45 – 6:00
Wrap up and closing questions